Thursday, March 10, 2011

What's in a Name?

I guess the first thing I want to post is to explain my name, Central Dogma.
The nerdy among you will recognize it from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. Central Dogma is Nerv’s headquarters in the GeoFront. Neon Genesis Evangelion is an often misunderstood anime. People go in expecting an action packed mech adventure. And you do get some of that for the first few episodes, but the series is really about the mental state of people under mental stress. That’s why people come away unsatisfied after the last 2 episodes.
But that’s not why I chose Central Dogma. Anyone who’s taken a biology class will also know the term Central Dogma. It describes the transfer of genetic information from DNA to RNA to Protein and how DNA can be replicated.

I’ve always been interested in genetics and I could go on for pages about the intricacies of how the tiny little machines in each of our cells works and the neat probabilities they cause to occur. About how it fits together and “Just Works”.
And besides Central Dogma is probably the coolest name biologists came up with, well second coolest.

No comments:

Post a Comment