Monday, March 14, 2011

My Favorite Anime

I was going to post this a little later, but given current event this feels like the best time to post this. Here is a list of members of the Anime community that have checked in. Now, on to the post:
People have the incorrect assumption that anime is a genre. Even some people who consider themselves anime connoisseurs sometimes hold that anime is fundamentally better then other media. This is simply not true. Anime is a form of media, not genre.
I don’t like crime dramas, therefore I don’t watch the Ghost in the Shell series. Although I do like the movies.
Anyway, onto the minireviews.

One of my favorite pieces of media is FLCL. It is pretty mainstream and you will see pieces of it from time to time on Adult Swim. But, if you ever have time to sit down and marathon it all the way through, it is a totally different experience. One of the things that makes it so amazing is just how Gainax chose to animate the OVA. They chose to use FLCL as a kind of test bed for their animating techniques.

Studio Ghibli films are always amazing. I could list them all. The scenery is always amazing and the stories manage to hold their own. But my favorite would probably be Castle in the Sky. Nausicaa (made before the studio’s founding) is also great, and you can’t help seeing the similarity with Avatar after seeing it.

Next is Now and Then, Here and There. This one is extremely depressing anime. That’s not a bad thing; it tries to be depressing, and it succeeds at it. If you have any emotion in you, this will get to you. From what I recall, the art was very nice in this one. But I watched it years ago, so don’t take my word on that. This anime explores the horrors of war, it has some sci-fi aspects, but that’s not the focus of this anime.
If you are interested in anime I would suggest you check out Anime News Network’s anncast. Although they do have a habit of going off on long rants about piracy’s effect on Anime.
I could post some more reviews of anime, or any form of media, if you would like, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment