Monday, August 6, 2012

The Job Search

I’m going to be writing some new types of posts, and therefore introducing a new tag. They’ll be about the time I spent on my job search. I’m now (luckily) employed, but I was on the job market for about 9 months, not including the job searching I did while in college, and have quite a few tales to tell.

I was speaking to a friend recently about our job hunting experiences, and the one thing we immediately agreed upon is that job hunting is a soul crushing experience. Between making cold calls to doing interviews to following up, it’s all a massive time sink. The worst of it is, even if you put in all that time, you have no guarantee of success, just better odds.

The one comfort you can have is this: You have a skill. If you’re in a technical field and you’ve gotten proper training, this skill should be easily identifiable and valuable. Maybe you can program or cook well or can translate another language. And as a job seeker, this skill will be something employers are in need of. And if a business is hiring, they obviously have a need for that skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment