Saturday, May 7, 2011

Upgrades

There’s some big news in the death of Osama bin Laden. I want to make a post on it, and we’ll see if I get around to it. It will be up if/ when it’s finished.
It may surprise you, dear reader, that being as technologically savvy as I am, I am probably one of the last people to upgrade my electronics. However, that is not to say that I do not plan upgrades, just that financial circumstances (read: unemployment) prevent me from making the final purchase.
Let’s start with the big one: my PC. My current motherboard is this beast, which I have had for the last 5 years. I envisioned it as a kind of transition PC, but here it is 5 years later, still pulling it’s weight. I would like to upgrade it to an AM3+ or Intel LGA2011 board when they get released. Hopefully it has SATA 6Gbit, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, and DDR4 out of box, but that’s kind of unlikely. Lightpeak (Thunderbolt?) looks to proprietary for my tastes.

I recently received a Blu-Ray burner, but my monitor isn’t HDCP, so I can’t actually watch Blu-Rays on my PC. So, I’m looking to pick up this guy when the price drops to $280 or this guy if it goes on sale again . I could even modify it for 3D.
 My device on the go is the iPhone 3G which, as you may have heard, Apple decided to unceremoniously drop support for. But I’m still considering buying an iPhone 5 or whatever iPhone happens to feature LTE. What can I say, Apple makes a damn fine mobile OS, up until the point when they make the next model.
My laptop is similar to this bad boy. I’m honestly surprised it still runs. I made upgrades to the hard drive and ram. But I no longer have the need for a laptop, so I won’t be upgrading. But if I did I would want something with a touch screen and discrete graphics card. This is a little old or a nice ThinkPad.
Finally there’s my car. It’s almost 2 decades old. I’m not a car person. But as I previously posted, I’ve started watching Top Gear and I did a little research and would love to get the Chevy Volt when it’s price comes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment